Custom Grid Merge Templates

A forum for Deltek Vision CRM & Proposals.

Custom Grid Merge Templates

Postby ahuyghe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Could someone please tell me how to write a merge template to pull information from a customized grid on a customized tab into a Word document? I have been able to pull information from different fields on the tab, but I am having trouble pulling information from the customized grids.
ahuyghe

Re: Custom Grid Merge Templates

Postby Karen Sigel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Happy to help. This can be very confusing.

(All of these instructions assume you're using at least Vision 5.0. If not, you can still do it, it's just a little more complicated.)

First, you want to use the Vision macro to insert your codes into the document. Next, once you've chosen the appropriate info center from the list and inserted a [Begin] code for it, go to the right side of the dialog box and select "Custom Tab Codes". Choose Begin Tab and when that dialog box pops up, type (or copy/paste) the EXACT name of the tab into it and click OK. Next, select Custom Field and type (or copy/paste) the EXACT name of the grid into it and click OK. Do the same for each of the grid columns you want to merge. Use the preceeding/succeeding separator and other format options as you normally would. You'll notice that, because Vision can't know what kind of data is in the custom field, it lists every possible format. Finally, insert the [End] code.

Here's an example:
[Begin Tab: Miscellaneous Trivia][Tab Field: Trivial Grid Name][Tab Field: Trivia 1][{``(Tab Field: Trivia 2)}][End]

If you have any specific questions, give me a call.
Karen L Sigel
Buchart Horn, Inc./BASCO Associates
717 852-1465
http://www.bh-ba.com
Karen Sigel

Postby ahuyghe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:07 pm

I appreciate you help, Karen. I have been doing just as you have said and it gives me a blank sheet. The tab I am refering to is called "Business Plan", the name of the grid is "Financial Goals" and the first column of the grid is "Project". I have set it up as follows:

[Begin Tab: Business Plans][Tab Field: Financial Goals][Tab Field: Project][End]
ahuyghe

Postby Karen Sigel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:30 pm

You may have typo-ed it, but am I correct, your tab is called "Business Plan" and you're inserting a field called [Begin Tab: Business Plans]? If that's the case, remove the "s" from the field and see what happens. (You'll need to do the whole process over again - typing inside the brackets almost always corrupts the code.)

If this isn't what's going on, let me know and we can try to troubleshoot further.
Karen L Sigel
717 852-1465
Karen Sigel

Postby ahuyghe » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:48 pm

The tab name is "Business Plans" with an "s". I have been able to pull all of the other information from the tab. I am just having trouble with pulling from grids we set up on the tab.
ahuyghe

Postby Karen Sigel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm thinking you have to use the name of the grid in the begin code, not the name of the tab. I'm not sure how it will work with whatever final document format you have in mind, but the code would look like this (using your example):

[Begin Tab: Financial Goals][Tab Field: Project][End]

See what happens. I know this is how you do it when the custom grid is on a standard tab, but I'm not sure about when the grid is on a custom tab. I was assuming that because the grid is on a custom tab, you have to point the code to that tab, but it may be that Vision just looks for the grid itself and completely ignores what tab it's on. It's the only thing I can think of that you may not have tried.

Do you have access to Deltek support? If this doesn't work, there's a person I know there who would be able to answer this question easily.
Karen L Sigel
717 852-1465
Karen Sigel

Return to CRM & Proposals